Thursday, October 8, 2009

Harry Connick Jr. Doesn't Do Black-face ~The "Jackson Jive" parody, which aired on a reunion episode of the variety show Hey Hey It’s Saturday last night, was deemed offensive by the guest judge, the US singer Harry Connick Jr, who complained on air, saying:
“If I knew that was going to be part of the show I definitely wouldn't have done it. On behalf of my country I know it was done humorously, but we’ve spent so much time trying to not make black people look like buffoons that when we see something like that we take it really to heart."

Update~Wellll check out David Winkler-Schmit's find.

'Never Forget', USS New York hoping for grand New Orleans send-off~Paul Purpura

New Orleans City Business fails to disclose important conflict of interest~Save Charity Hospital

Orleans Levee District workers could have a safehouse by next hurricane season~Bob Ross

Housing voucher office opens in Algiers amid criticism
~Katy Reckdahl


Coastal Louisiana could see resurgence in energy exploration, production
~Jen DeGregorio


Canada’s 20th Annual Breakbulk Conference being held In NO

Technology recycles waste into 'Tiger Bullets'~Keith Magill

Fitch Rates Louisiana GOs 'AA-'; Upgrades Outstanding GOs


Same old song – this time to the tune of $1.88billion ~slabbed

My wife is now my mother’s mother
And it makes me blue.
Because, although she is my wife,
She’s my grandmother, too.

If my wife is my grandmother,
Then I am her grandchild.
And every time I think of it,
It simply drives me wild.

For now I have become
The strangest case you ever saw.
As the husband of my grandmother,
I am my own grandpa!


Hubig's goes Hu-Buff,
Pie company's symbol goes from pastry puff to beefy!
~The New Orleans Levee

~After 90 days of muscle-pumping workouts and tireless effort to transform his body from regular to ripped, 87-year-old Savory Simon, the rotund figure on Hubig’s Pie wrappers since 1922, has revealed how he went from toady and tired to magnificently muscular.

Baked Oysters Fortuna
~Judy Walker

~Going out to The Big Molluski over at Your Right Hand Thief.
~"I dust a bit...in addition, I am at the moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."
~Ignatius J. Reilly
~And Also~"What's behind the New Orleans' culinary curtain?" This week, 60 North American food journalists are in New Orleans for the annual Association of Food Journalists meeting. The professional group will explore topics ranging from sugar and sugar cane on the road to Baton Rouge to "The New Orleans You Don't Know," the conference theme.

Sarah Vowell at NOCCA,
Ned Sublette at Octavia,
Jason Berry at Ogden,
Simon Pettet at 17 Poets!
-and much more~Susan Larsen


Shorties: Lucinda Williams, Herta Muller~Largehearted Boy

ArtSpot Productions
and
Mondo Bizarro

~present Loup Garou, a new environmental performance featuring performance poet Raymond “Moose” Jackson in a poem/play that explores the deep interconnectedness between land and culture in Louisiana. The outdoor performance runs through Oct. 25, in the abandoned fields of City Park’s old East Golf Course. Showings are Thursdays at sunrise (7am)
and Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays at 5pm.
~Very special thanks to Odd Bits of Life in New Orleans


Radiators Harvest the Music Today in Lafayette Park!

34th Zwolle Tamale Festival

Voices in the Wilderness
~John Swenson, offBeat


Dylan and the Blues~Citizen K

In Pursit of Bo Consciousness -Part 5 ~Home of the Groove

No comments: