Monday, August 20, 2012

dashTHIRTYdash is a 98% volunteer effort raising money for Times-Picayune employees and contractors who are losing their jobs because of the changes coming to the newspaper Oct. 1. (The remaining 2% pays for the professional oversight being provided by the Contemporary Arts Center of New Orleans, which is our 501(c)3 sponsor and makes contributions to dashTHIRTYdash tax-deductible.)
Many of the people who have informed and entertained you in the pages of the T-P over the years, and some who risked their well-being to tell the city’s story in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina are losing their jobs. Even if they choose to leave New Orleans, they will face very tough odds in continuing to do their life’s work: in the last five years alone the newspaper industry has slashed almost 40,000 jobs – or 11% of the industry’s total workforce.

Tickets are now available online for the Saturday, Sept. 29 dashTHIRTYdash event, “Black, White & Read All Over,” a benefit and commemoration of the daily T-P.

Crews finish phase of work. Well to be drilled to study sinkhole ~Robert Stewart, Advocate
~Crews finished driving metal casing into the ground Sunday near a salt cavern in Assumption Parish and plan to begin drilling an observational well into the cavern to see if it caused the large sinkhole near Bayou Corne, a spokesman for the company that owns the cavern said.

Sinkhole leaves small Assumption Parish community shaken ~Daily Comet

Coast Guard continues to monitor Mississippi River after tugs sink

On Mississippi, trouble staying afloat ~John Schwartz, NYT~The Potter is scooping a stretch of the river's navigation channel just south of St. Louis, sucking up about 60,000 cubic yards of sediment each day and depositing it via a pipe 1,000 feet to the side in a violent, muddy plume that smells like muck and summer.
The Army Corps of Engineers has more than a dozen dredging vessels working the Mississippi this summer. Despite being fed by water flowing in from more than 40 percent of the United States, the lower part of the river is feeling the ruinous drought affecting so much of the Midwest. Some stretches are nearing the record low-water levels experienced in 1988, when river traffic was suspended in several spots.

~The Council for the Development of French in Louisiana (CODOFIL) is the state agency charged with French language educational and cultural economic development initiatives in Louisiana. The agency has multiple legislative mandates that include francophone tourism, economic development, culture, education and international relations. On Friday June 15, 2012 a line-item veto was performed by Governor Bobby Jindal that slashed $100,000 from CODOFIL’s budget (approximately 40% of its total budget) for the upcoming year. This budget cut leaves CODOFIL just enough money to pay operating costs with no room for a budget to accomplish its goals

Interview: Harry Shearer Will Coviello talks to the man whose new album, Can't Take a Hint, is a mashup of comedy and music

No comments: